Tips for Adding Extra Fun to Your Vacation in San Diego
San Diego is a true coastal paradise that’s a perfect place to visit any time of year. While there are certainly many “touristy” things to do in this area, your vacation can be even more enjoyable if you make an effort to go beyond the expected during your time here. Below, the friendly team from Sunrise Inn San Diego, one of the most ideally located and budget-friendly hotels in San Diego, offer suggestions for ways to make your San Diego vacation more fun.
Don’t Overload Your Vacation To-Do List
From visiting iconic local destinations like Balboa Park and the Gaslamp Quarter to partaking in popular activities such as surfing, swimming, hiking, and biking, there are many ways to quickly fill up your San Diego vacation to-do list. However, you’ll have a lot more fun if you leave some room to discover other things to do on your own once you get here.
Get Recommendations from Locals
If you’re at a loss for how to spend your time while vacationing in San Diego, ask some of the locals for vacation advice once you arrive. Many of the people who live and work in SD and nearby areas are more than willing to offer suggestions if you simply ask. This is a great way to discover recommendations for things like:
• Places to eat that tend to be better known by locals—a list that could include spots like Trailer Park After Dark and Del’s Hideout
• Local watering holes off the beaten path that might include “hidden” speakeasies and secret bars
• Activities you don’t normally associate with San Diego that you can do while vacationing here (e.g., horseback riding, golfing, and skydiving)
Explore Local Waters in More Unique Ways
The waters that cradle San Diego are filled with an abundance of marine life, picturesque scenery, kelp beds, and other natural wonders. Boat tours and day cruises are great, but there are many more unique and equally fun ways to explore and enjoy the San Diego–area waters. Options to consider include:
• Sea cave kayaking in La Jolla
• Whale watching tours from mid-December through April
• Waterskiing or jet skiing at the Mission Bay Sportscenter
• Renting a boat for a casual day of fishing as you check out local waters
• Wading into the water at local beaches that are more secluded and not as heavily frequented by tourists (e.g., D Street Beach, Sunset Cliffs, Fletcher Cove Beach)
Make Up Your Own Self-Guided Tour
San Diego is the perfect place to be casual and relaxed while you’re on vacation. One way to do this in a fun, stress-free way is to take a self-guided tour you put together yourself. All you’ll need to do is pick out local points of interest that match the purpose of your tour. Simply use your phone to map out your preferred locations. You can then make your way to each location on your own time. For instance, you might do a self-guided tour of local historic landmarks or natural wonders that can be found in places like the Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve. What’s also great about self-guided tours is the ability to mix things up and make each one specific to what interests you and others who may be vacationing with you.
With so many activities to enjoy in San Diego, it will take several days to visit every destination on your list, so reserve your room today at Sunrise Inn San Diego. When they’re looking for comfortable and affordable hotels near downtown San Diego, visitors will be amazed by our unbeatable rates as well as our spacious rooms, stunning views of the harbor, and proximity to the best attractions in America’s Finest City. Call one of our friendly staff members today at (619) 223-5544.